What? Viking Vicki? Yes, you did read correctly!
My son was in a day camp last week and one of the leaders (and choir director and neighbour of ours) was the character of Viking Vicki. After the camp was over, my son desperately wanted to make her a card.
“Great dear, you do that”
” But Mom, I don’t know what to do”
“Make her something that shows her how appreciative you are”
“I’m pretty appreciative, you’d better make it”
And so I sat down trying to figure out what to make someone who dressed as a viking for a whole week (and even went to Starbucks in costume I’m told).
As most of you know, Stampin’ Up! came out with a new owl punch – SO EXCITING! I was gazing at it longingly on my desk and BAM, it it hit me! That body looks like hair! And so it began.
The base of this card is Chocolate Chip and I’ve layered it with a central panel of So Saffron and a piece of Newsprint Designer Series Paper (the map piece). Also, down the centre of that panel I added a distressed strip of Baja Breeze and tied on some Very Vanilla 1/4″ grosgrain ribbon. This awesome sketch is courtesy of Stamping 411 this week (it’s awesome!).
Next, for the central panel, I layered Chocolate Chip, then Very Vanilla and then Baja Breeze. On the bottom of that layer, I added a ripped and torn and sponged piece of Very Vanilla cardstock on which I stamped “thanks” from Thank You Kindly. Then, I added a Chocolate Chip button and a tie of the Newsprint Designer Series Paper. Now for the viking herself:
Let’s start from the bottom up:
- The body is a small tag in Chocolate Chip layered over a small tag of Very Vanilla. I cut the Chocolate Chip tag and added a tie of linen thread.
- The arms are made by punching first with the large oval and then again over it with the wide oval punch. I used Blushing Bride cardstock for the hands and arms.
- The face is a large oval of Blushing Bride. I stamped the eyes from Make a Monster and drew in the face. I used my white gel pen for the eyes and teeth. She is “aarrgghhh”-ing.
- The hair is actually the body from the Owl punch. I punched out a large oval to make an opening for the face. I ran it through the Big Shot with the Square lattice die for texture and added a small piece of coordinating cardstock for bangs.
- The hat is half of a 1″ circle of Chocolate Chip. I added a River Rock strip and two horns. The horns are made using the Heart to Heart punch (medium sized heart).
I hope that all made sense! Thanks for stopping by and if I can explain something a little more clearly, please let me know!
Products used on this project:
Cardstock: Chocolate Chip, So Saffron, Baja Breeze, River Rock, Very Vanilla, Blushing Bride.
Ink: Crumb Cake (for distressing), Chocolate Chip, Basic Black.
Stamps: Make a Monster, Thank you Kindly.
Accessories: Small tag punch, wide oval punch, large oval punch, 1″ circle punch, Owl punch, Heart to Heart punch, scallop oval punch (for bangs), Big Shot, Square lattice Die, Newsprint DSP, linen thread, Neutral buttons, 1/4″ Very Vanilla grosgrain, white gel pen.