I have the hardest time with cards for men. I just do. So because of this, I make myself do classes with cards geared specifically for men. They stress me out! But, one technique that is a great one for men is faux metal.
For my men’s cards I like simple layouts and bold blocks of colour. For this card, I actually just grabbed scraps and got the layout from what I had cut (I love when this happens!).
The card base is Sahara Sand. I did nothing to it but fold it (this was hard as I would generally layer or add a background – but I decided against it). Then, I had a strip of Mellow Moss which I paper pierced along the top and turned over so you see the rough side of the piercing. I then layered the top with some basic black cardstock.
I used the It’s All Good stamp set for the faux metal. Never done it? Here is how:
- start with a fairly solid image stamp
- take a piece of cardstock and cover it, direct to paper method, with Versamark
- while you have your Versamark out, ink up the stamp you intend to use and put it aside
- sprinkle it with embossing powder and emboss the entire thing
- repeat the Versamark/embossing powder/heat part 3-4 times. I prefer 4 times
- now, quickly, after the last heating of the embossing powder, press your stamp in it and push gently for a few seconds. I was so scared to do this the first time but by Versamarking your stamp, it “saves” it from the heat of the embossed powder
In this case, I used Sterling Silver EP. I punched out the image with a square punch and adhered it to a black tag I punched out with the large tag punch. Under the tag is a piece of Always Artichoke cardstock which has been stamped with the linen background and edged with artichoke ink. I made a horizontal slot and tied in some Moss gingham ribbon. And then adhered the tag with a dimensional.
Men’s cards, to me, are all about colour and texture. Although simple, I think this one fits the bill!
Thanks for looking and please enjoy this all weekend! I’m at the Vancouver Baby and Family Fair this weekend if you’d like to come and visit! Kind of a crazy weekend as I have my downline gala dinner tonight too….there are sure to be some great pictures of this event to come soon!